Presents a general overview of information technology. Topics include how computers work, different types of computers, input, and data storage devices, operating systems, data communications, systems analysis, design and more.
The terms “information technology” and “IT” are widely used in business and the field of computing. People use the terms generically when referring to various kinds of computer-related work, which sometimes confuses their meaning.
- What is Technology?
- Describe the five categories of computer hardware: input, processing, storage, output, and communications.
- Explain what a computer-based information system is by focusing on software, data/information, procedures, people and communications (connectivity).
- Explain how data is represented and stored in a computer system
- Explain the functions of processor, RAM, and registers.
- Describe input and output hardware, including video devices, electronic cameras. Sensors, multimedia, pointing devices, scanners, and terminals.
- Describe storage, including the difference between primary and secondary storage, the characteristics of diskettes, flash memory and backup.
- Information Technology Jobs and Careers
- Issues and Challenges in Information Technology